Beta software is an updated version of an existing program
designed to either fix some particular problem, or to experiment with various
new features which may, or may not be in the next version of the
A full release of the program will have been widely tested (through the beta
process), and will contain all the files required for running the program such
as data files and, where applicable, update Help files. A beta version, by
contrast, may contain just the program and some basic release notes, and none of
the other files required for the program to function. Before using any
beta software, you should have a full current version of the program installed, and it
should be working correctly.
This beta software:
- requires the current, released version to be installed
- is updated without notice
- has no support available
- has features that may not be in the next released
- is not guaranteed to work
- may have time-limited functionality
- may crash or give false results
- requires that you read the release notes
- .. so use at your own risk!
- .. and please keep a working backup!
As opposed to a full installation, beta software may just
contain just an updated executable file, and will therefore need some additional
steps in installing. If you are not comfortable following steps like those
listed below, please be patient and wait for the next released version. Be
sure to have the current released version before applying a beta update!
Updating a typical program
- Make sure you have the most recent release version of the
software installed and working properly.
- Visit my Web site, download and save the beta of the MSG Data Manager
from the page.
- Right-click the saved file, Properties, and click the Unblock button if
one is present.
- This Zip file contains an updated MsgDataManager.exe program file and
an updated MsgDataManager.txt "read-me" file.
- Locate your existing installation of the MSG Data Manager. Most
likely this will be (for an English language install):
- In the case of the MSG Data Manager, this folder will contain files named e.g. WaveletDLL.dll as well as
the MSG Data Manager program file.
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and close the program down.
- Rename the existing executable file:
to, for example:
- Copy the new MsgDataManager.exe from the Zip file you downloaded in
step 1 to the folder you located in step 3.
- If there were more file in the beta download, copy those as
well having backed up your working versions.
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
Reverting to the original program
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and exit the program.
- Rename the new executable file:
to, for example:
- Rename the previous executable file you renamed in step 6:
- Copy any other files you backed up to the appropriate
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
The same general procedure is true for all my beta updates.
aware of the limitations of beta software which are listed above.
They are a way you can check if you think your download might be corrupt -
very unlikely, but... Please see: http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/
Current beta-test versions:
As I know that testing by users is far more likely to detect errors that just testing by me alone, I am making
here. Please make a backup of your working version before installing these
programs, and please only install them on top of a working version. You
will need a licence for the current release version of the software.
- BUFR Viewer - 126.96.36.199 - Use Francis Breame's more recent converter,
detect AMV files containing '-MSGAMV' in the name.
MD5 signature: E26A722675F6512C48C8495A0DC67585
- FastWXtrack - 188.8.131.52 - Experimental
program for faster DDE tracking and Doppler updates. Option to force
Doppler text to upper-case, add setting of radio mode, freeze updates while mode list is dropped down,
layout enhancements, issue with date/time display on Win-10 Creators noted
and worked-round, honour Windows themes, reduce the frequency of some displayed data
(makes it easier to read the values, but Doppler and pointing still calculated as fast as possible).
MD5 signature: 2C42207803C465C966D5371E68E8CC61
- GeoSatSignal - 184.108.40.2064 - Support MSG/IODC in World
View, preliminary support for Himawari B12 (as IR_096), support GOMS-2,
don't show Notice of the Day dialog if the directory doesn't exist, widen
LUT drop-down boxes on Job Setup form, correct IODC
land/sea mapping, correct 2300 + 1 hour TZ bias displaying day incorrectly.
MD5 signature: CA72E43E5E76354CC64183B2BDE3BD90
- HRPT Reader - 220.127.116.114 - Add enhanced NOAA BD1 thermal
LUT, provide user-defined SST palette (provides better SST detail, 256 entries coded R,G,B
covers the currently defined temperature range, a sample palette is provided: sst-lut.pal,
can be read in batch mode from the command-line: -sstSST-PAL.pal:corr.jpg,
and specify a temperature range on the command-line too: -sstSST-PAL.pal(15,25):corr.jpg).
MD5 signature: 156F6026F3E481F274C6B8F1ED14431D
- Metop Manager - 18.104.22.1688 -
Try to handle "Another copy..." better across restarts, accept -LOG
parameter - starts with Event Log tab, handle GAC failures more elegantly.
MD5 signature: BAE6D5B0B4910723627E9D724E79550A
- MODIS L1 Viewer - 22.214.171.124
- Set up/down text colour to blue for blue channel, prevent one variable not
being initialised, more choice in the File, Open dialog, accept "Australian" MODIS file names.
MD5 signature: B719CB47FAFD930C3AF0B1846248475F
- MSG Data Manager - V126.96.36.1995 -
Add GOMS-2 support (replaces GOMS-1 support, can save pro/epilogue files if
requested), support NOAA Direct Broadcast (NDB)
data, support SMAP level 1C data, update for new EARS sounder file names
including in retention purge.
MD5 signature: C92592AAE95B35BA132EFA8F6D52CCFA
- Sentinel2 to JPEG - V188.8.131.52 -
Right-click on image to invoke Options dialog.
MD5 signature: CE13B1E8EDEC7A70386622E713E01F2D
- SweepGen - 184.108.40.206 - Remove initial set of
RHS-trigger, UI enhancements.
MD5 signature: 098FD313F50FD97945952DA3ED79DB12
- WXtrack - 220.127.116.114 - Add
pass-box for Sentinel 3A in ScanOffsets.ini (treat as being in the "weather satellite"
class), in View|Radar plot add Galileo satellites, add count of navigation satellites visible
(you will need the Keplers from e.g. CelesTrak - galileo.txt),
enlarge View|Radar plot display, provide hints for long satellite names in
the Available list, restore SPID half-degree support.
I recommend Fred
van den Bosch's software DownloadPrograms - which will help to keep an eye on the
version numbers and updates for you!