Beta software is an updated version of an existing program
designed to either fix some particular problem, or to experiment with various
new features which may, or may not be in the next version of the
A full release of the program will have been widely tested (through the beta
process), and will contain all the files required for running the program such
as data files and, where applicable, update Help files. A beta version, by
contrast, may contain just the program and some basic release notes, and none of
the other files required for the program to function.
Before using any
beta software, you should have a full current version of the program installed, and it
should be working correctly.
This beta software:
- requires the current, released version to be installed
- is updated without notice
- has no support available
- has features that may not be in the next released
- is not guaranteed to work
- may have time-limited functionality
- may crash or give false results
- requires that you read the release notes
- .. so use at your own risk!
- .. and please keep a working backup!
As opposed to a full installation, beta software may just
contain just an updated executable file, and will therefore need some additional
steps in installing. If you are not comfortable following steps like those
listed below, please be patient and wait for the next released version. Be
sure to have the current released version installed and working before applying a beta update!
Updating a typical program
- Make sure you have the most recent release version of the
software installed and working properly.
- Visit my Web site, download and save the beta of the MSG Data Manager
from the page.
- Right-click the saved file, Properties, and click the Unblock button if
one is present.
- This Zip file contains an updated MsgDataManager.exe program file and
an updated MsgDataManager.txt "read-me" file.
- Locate your existing installation of the MSG Data Manager. Most
likely this will be (for an English language install):
- In the case of the MSG Data Manager, this folder will contain files named e.g. WaveletDLL.dll as well as
the MSG Data Manager program file.
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and close the program down.
- Rename the existing executable file:
to, for example:
- Copy the new MsgDataManager.exe from the Zip file you downloaded in
step 1 to the folder you located in step 3.
- If there were more file in the beta download, copy those as
well having backed up your working versions.
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
Reverting to the original program
- Stop the MSG Data Manager and exit the program.
- Rename the new executable file:
to, for example:
- Rename the previous executable file you renamed in step 6:
- Copy any other files you backed up to the appropriate
- Restart the MSG Data Manager.
The same general procedure is true for all my beta updates.
aware of the limitations of beta software which are listed above.
They are a way you can check if you think your download might be corrupt -
very unlikely, but... Please see: http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/
If you get a message like: Ipl.dll function iplAllocateImageFP not found (error 126)
you will need to close any of my programs which are currently running,
update the runtime Library Bundle you have installed
at the moment. This update includes the function listed above, which will
make some of my software run more quickly.
Current beta-test versions:
As I know that testing by users is far more likely to detect errors that just testing by me alone, I am making
here. Please make a backup of your working version before installing these
programs, and please only install them on top of a working version. You
will need a licence for the current release version of the software.
- BUFR Viewer - V18.104.22.168 - Use Francis Breame's more recent converter,
detect AMV files containing '-MSGAMV' in the name.
MD5 signature: E26A722675F6512C48C8495A0DC67585
- FastWXtrack - V22.214.171.124 - Experimental
program for faster DDE tracking and Doppler updates. Option to force
Doppler text to upper-case, add setting of radio mode, freeze updates while mode list is dropped down,
layout enhancements, issue with date/time display on Win-10 Creators noted
and worked-round, honour Windows themes, reduce the frequency of some displayed data
(makes it easier to read the values, but Doppler and pointing still calculated as fast as
possible), high-precision DDE option.
MD5 signature: AA81A4004B45486FDCCA5B74C135ED3A
- GOES ABI Manager - 2019.3.2.39
- Accept "-start" for auto-start, "-log" for log page
display, add Close button, set defaults for save type and bands, save logging across invocations, add image display,
remember form position between runs, add short image filename option, add hand icon to thumbnails,
add descriptive hint to thumbnail label, add date & time hint to
thumbnails, add right-click GeoSatSignal
process to thumbnail and image views, remove gamma-correction for B02 & B03,
pressing Esc (escape) or right-click "Quit" closes the image view,
prepare for band B01 (blue) data, treat B03 (SWIR) as visible, make the space region for thermal channels white,
add Clear Images option (at start of new data), allow image path to have
spaces, add choice of NetCDF save path, makes dates-in-tree optional, notify MSG Animator after an image is
saved, delete files which failed to process, accommodate mode-3 and mode-4 operation
(without any notice, as far as I know), prepare for mode-6 operation
(ten-minute scans), accept single files on the command
line, add satellite name to window caption, change log file name to reflect the executable name
(allows multiple .EXE in one directory, remember to rename your existing log if required!,
daily save of active log file after midnight, updated read-me (twice), update for
GOES-17 (including notify MSG Animator), much reduced memory consumption,
higher quality thumbnail images, preload any valid existing images at start-up if clear images not
checked and images,
stop processing when Windows shutdown requested, more details in image
pop-up hints, add Support button, cosmetic changes.
MD5 signature: 25BFA1458CFDDA74976BD9FF7E276B3D
- GOES-15 netCDF Manager - 2020.1.2.46
- updated the read-me, scroll the log file to the end on start-up, go directly to Setup if directories are
undefined, make visible channel gamma adjustment optional, always scroll to bottom of log when
selected, update icon, if "Clear images" isn't checked, restore last saved
full-disk images, enhanced application title,
handle failure to decompress BZ2 better, reduce memory requirements, notify
MSG Animator, add image size note to detailed image, centre detail image on
first view, reduce disk/network traffic, more protection against bad files,
make NH and SH updates saving optional (corrected and logging improved), stop processing when Windows shutdown
requested, delete files which are too small or don't have a valid
filename, add Support button, accommodate unannounced full-disk change, yet
another change - and this is a service which finishes shortly! Updated
for 2020 and later, as the service didn't finish!
MD5 signature: A9AEECB205B711A25BC613C5624E1CF1
- GeoSatSignal - V126.96.36.1997 - Start
FY-2H support, recognise FY-2H in World View, change to user licence keys -
try entering your present key without Run as Administrator but
contact me if there are problems and I can send a new key, faster remapping
(with new runtimes),
trap error at
program exit on a couple of systems where HTMLhelp may not be installed?
New runtime Library Bundle optional.
MD5 signature: 5F9C1F77150134B3E4F00972ABEDBF27
- GRIB Viewer - V188.8.131.526 - Update for revised FIR data.
MD5 signature: 449B8B2D8E685C0860AE74F9A752836D
- HRPT Reader - V184.108.40.2060 - Start Meteor-M N2-2 support
- files named like: 2019-07-18_1429_MN22.dat, correct error in "FY-3C ?" Kepler request.
MD5 signature: BBCA8DE4D0DB8E596EA8BC488E5E1E9D
- Map-to-GEO - V220.127.116.11 - Support PNG input interactively,
support TIF input interactively, support NESDIS GOES-E and GOES-W subsets (will look for .TFW file in the same directory,
but provide defaults if .TFW is not present, batch operation supported, remapping to
EUMETCast GOES-E/W projections), add GOES-16 (as GOES-E) segment (typical output filename:
GoesEast04I22530245.bmp), move GOES-W to 128° W, add GOES-17 (as GOES-W),
support FY-2H data at 79° E.
MD5 signature: F71F2B2274FD7955A5F7B10CD344D9AB
- Metop Manager - V18.104.22.1682
- Made "display times" the default in the browser tab.
MD5 signature: B719CB47FAFD930C3AF0B1846248475F
- MODIS L1 Viewer - V22.214.171.124
- Set up/down text colour to blue for blue channel, prevent one variable not
being initialised, more choice in the File, Open dialog, accept "Australian" MODIS file names.
MD5 signature: 5C14F91763D8024E7F062816952A158F
- MSG Animator - V126.96.36.1998 -
Support for GEOS-16 at 75° W, updated for 10-minute GOES-16 animations, support GOES-15 at 128° W, support for GOES-17 at 137°
W, support FY-2H at 79 ° E, start 10-minute Himawari-8 support,
earlier start for Himawari, support new MPE replacement hydrology (files named like: S-HSAF-h03B_20190723_1130_fdk.grb,
need to set Unzip SAF in the MSG Data Manager, need to use timer updates, not from MSG DM,
there are 48 * 19 MB files/day => almost a GB!, experimental! Restore
support for FIRE animations, file format may have changed. More natural frame rates for 60 Hz monitors (you may need to rebuild your animations).
You may need to copy land/sea masks from the beta GeoSatSignal
directory. Remove obsolete satellites from channel list, use F5 key to trigger an animation update.
MD5 signature: 7AED9C71D9319F1D3E205A5366B9E4EB
- MSG Data Manager - V188.8.131.529
- Start FY-2H support at 79 East, new image file names like:
201906140500-fy2h-Vis.png, support changed NWC data, support changed S-OSI_-NOR...
files, improved reporting when multiple RII missing, skip MPE reporting after
2019-Jul-10, improved recognition of RSS without MPEF, enhanced collation of
multiple missing cycles.
MD5 signature: 3671E3DB07D453A236E02563807993BC
- RSS Holiday - 2019.04.05.3 - New program to rename MSG-2 rapid-scan files to MSG-3 - avoids
having to restart the MSG Data Manager during MSG-3 holidays (where it does
some full-scans to exercise the mechanism!). Now has a nice icon, and
a -MIN parameter to minimise.
MD5 signature: F7D215086060D699B4312373C43CF3A8
- SatSignal - V184.108.40.2067 -
Restore some missing items from the Overlay options dialog.
MD5 signature: F106F9846ED310814B58961A1A859E08
- Sentinel2 to JPEG - V220.127.116.11 -
Right-click on image to invoke Options dialog. Experimental
features: accept two .TIF files for drag-and-drop or command-line, accept Landsat-7 data
(blue file name - must end B1.TIF, green file name - must end B2.TIF, red file name - must end B3.TIF,
file names must start "LE07" or be 8011 (W) x 6911 (H) images).
MD5 signature: 765951FF1807A734D37EAA3BE002DAB4
- Solar Outage SNR (for BDADataEx and solar
outage periods) - Experimental programs to record and plot SNR values from BDADataEx
during the forthcoming solar outage periods. Set the expected earliest
outage start (minus 5 minutes, say) and the latest expected finish (plus 5
minutes). Check the Device 1 box to add "1" to the SignalEx.exe command. Add control of sampling interval, default 5 seconds. Error
message if SignalEx.exe is not found.
The plotting program takes a filename wildcard as its parameter,
choice of smoothing, display value under cursor, text and graphical display of actual maximum SNR
reduction date and time, accept one predicted maximum time in the log file
and display it. Sample plots included.
MD5 signature: F5CEF60F6C649A3F0952024201551F2D
- SweepGen - V18.104.22.168 - Remove initial set of
RHS-trigger, UI enhancements.
MD5 signature: 098FD313F50FD97945952DA3ED79DB12
- Sea-Ice & SST Viewer - V22.214.171.124
- Update for mixed DMI/NOR sea-ice data.
MD5 signature: A1B271AD2CC2C0FECA91BEB2F6F42500
- WXtrack - V126.96.36.1991 - Add
Kepler Updater in Tools menu, remove obsolete Kepler Manager reference, better handling of certain
update SPID tracker to all possible gearing options (1° to 0.1°), add short delay after sending a SPID command,
add COM ports up to COM22, remember days-to-predict between runs, widen various date/time pickers,
add Meteor-M satellites as having an AVHRR-like scanner, add option to close
program from the command-line even if tracking, update Help to point to https://groups.io/g/SatSignal
and show correct user name.
MD5 signature: 546DA1CFDC8EC00B5499819382325033
I recommend Fred
van den Bosch's software DownloadPrograms - which will help to keep an eye on the
version numbers and updates for you!